Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Close Reading

Close reading is described as analyzing the text for meaning, while picking apart the author's sometimes hidden message.

Let's get one thing straight- although "close reading" is a somewhat new term, we have been doing that for years. When I was in 4th grade 20 years ago, my teaching Mrs. Gardener was reading The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe to us, asking us to think critically about topics, both the obvious and the hidden, which C.S. Lewis gave us in his brilliantly crafted books.

We continue this practice today, with questions at various levels to help students deeply think about the text they are reading.

One of the activities that I do with my students is a "Close Reading with Song Lyrics." I began this last year, and they LOVE this! They are now taking a look at song lyrics in a whole new way. They are questioning, they are looking for deeper meaning, and they are learning about simile and metaphor naturally within the lyrics they hear on a daily basis.

The best part is, the kids are fully engaged in these activities. I have kids requesting songs on a daily basis, which makes me feel great!

I currently have Roar, by Katy Perry as a freebie on TPT.

Also check out the Bundle of Five: Close Reading With Song Lyrics.

If anyone has any specific requests for close reading questions or specific songs, please let me know.

Happy Teaching!

1 comment:

  1. My students would love this activity! I'm adding it to my wishlist :)

    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete