Wednesday, January 29, 2014

State of the Union Address For Kids

Each day, I have conversations about current events with my kids, whether it be the issues at the Olympics, the economic crisis from the last few years, or today's topic, the President's State of the Union address.

I want my kiddos to be well-informed 4th graders, leaving school with new information and their own opinions. I don't lead my kids in one direction or another, I just inform them. That's my job.

Today, I am using the article from www.newsela.com to talk about the President's speech. For those of you who haven't used this site, I urge you to start, as there are leveled texts based on current events stories, some of which include test-prep style questions to prepare students.

I am also going to use a portion of last night's speech from YouTube. The full speech is available here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hed1nP9X7pI.

I have a few products on TpT available which asks students to make a claim using articles from NewsELA and other sources. The kids love debating these topics and I have a ton of fun, too!!

Making a Claim Bundle of 4

Happy teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment